If you read this blog your wildest dreams will come true.

Okay, maybe not. I really can't promise that. But I can promise that you will feast your eyes (pun intended) on some rather delicious-looking works of edible art. Just promise you won't lick your computer screen.

Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Girl Scout Madness

Girl Scout cookies. Crunchy cookie rounds spread with creamy peanut butter and slathered in chocolate. Cute, buttery little flower cookies drizzled in chocolate. Delicate, minty chocolate wafers lightly dipped in....you guessed it, chocolate. They're all amazing. So when a cute little girl comes to your door asking you if you want to buy some Girl Scout cookies, your response should be "absolutely I do."


Mmmmmmmmm......

Unfortunately, the Girl Scouts of this region appear to be slacking off. I have waited for four months in eager anticipation, waiting...waiting....w a i t i n g for one to miraculously appear on my porch (a Girl Scout, that is), and for four months (that's approximately 120 days of waiting we're talking about here...), NOTHING. You can probably imagine my distress. So I decided to go straight to the source. http://www.girlscoutcookies.org/. Immediately, my attention was drawn to the big "FIND COOKIES TODAY!" advertisement, which prompted me to type in my zip code and....well, find cookies today. I did. Do you want to know what it said? Of course you do. Or you wouldn't be reading this. It said:

The Girl Scout cookie season for Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast has ended.

ENDED?!
WHAT.
You have to be kidding me.
At this point I've become thoroughly fed up with girl scouts. SO I set out on a mission.

Mission: make my own girl scout cookies. Thin mints, to be exact.
Purpose: to satisfy my four month long craving for gs cookies
Goals: to create thin mints that taste as good (or, dare I venture...better?) than girl scout thin mints (that sounds like there are girl scouts in the cookies. Maybe that's why they're so good.  
....I didn't just say that).
Supplies: recipe, ingredients
Timetable: ASAP.

Okay, recipe time. A simple Google search turned up a fabulous recipe, which I modified slightly to suit my fancy (this is one of the many the great things about cooking). Next, the ingredients. It's really simple, actually: flour, butter, sugar, chocolate, cocoa, and a few other baking essentials. I got all my ingredients and tools out and prehated the oven. At this point, as you can probably imagine, I was getting pretty excited. In less than 30 minutes I would be dipping a homemade thin mint into a glass of milk. Mmmm....

Before I began, I glanced over the recipe just to make sure I knew what I was doing. Then it happened: a baker's worst nightmare. The words "F R E E Z E   F O R   A T   L E A S T   2   H O U R S . . . ".

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It got even worse. After enduring an excruciating 2 hours of freezing, you had to wait an ADDITIONAL 13-15 minutes for them to bake and an ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL 30ish minutes for the chocolate to harden. Gross. I mean delicious. Chocolate. Yum. But this whole waiting thing was really getting me down. Ugh, okay. Let's press on. I really, really wanted these cookies.

I don't think I need to go into the details of the actual recipe (it's posted under the dessert tab if you're interested), but let's just say that the waiting was definitely worth it. Granted, it was one of the most difficult things I've done all week (okay, not really) and I thorougly dirtied the kitchen and got covered in chocolate from head to toe (quite literally), the result was scrumptious. Here's a picture:


(And yes, that is a bed sheet backdrop. Don't laugh. I couldn't find anything else.)

In case anyone is craving off-season girl scout cookies, the Official Non-Official Off-Season Girl Scout Cookie Company (ONOOSGSCC) is in buisness.


Mission accomplished.

Oh, and while I was at it, I whipped up a batch of these beauties just for fun:

old-fashioned peanut butter cups

No comments:

Post a Comment